What are the details of our daily existence? What systems dominate our lives? What meanings can we make of our situation?

This social studies/humanities course will steal from various disciplines - including anthropology, critical theory, cultural studies, economics, futurology, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, and sociology - to help us make sense of our situation.

A major goal of the course will be to focus your attention on your own life. Together we will investigate major systems that create and rule our lives including capitalism, school, family, popular culture, and the US government. And we will figure out how to interpret our lives, and these systems, and the collision of our lives and these systems.

We will detour into the future and the past but our journey will be primarily contemporary.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Andy's Short Story - HW 24 - Cool Unit - Me in 3 years

Bob looked at the young woman trying to talk to him. He looked at the computer's display of 6 students he still hadn't finished grades for. Grades were due at 3pm. He looked down at his running shoes. He told her - "I only have two minutes for you right now, Doris." She sucked her teeth, and rolled her eyes, but mildly, since he was her teacher.

"See, what ha' happen' was, I was, like trying to upload that video all night! For real, I even aks my mother to help me. She even write you a note! See!"

He waved off the note and she wasn't sure if that meant he already believed her or if he was intentionally refusing to admit the evidence that would vindicate her.

He asked, "Do you remember the 10 ways we came up with to deal with digital frustration? Did you try any of those techniques?"

She said, "I told you! I aksed my mom!"

He said, "I believe that you tried and that you asked your mom. But you waited until the last night on this project, and I told you that could lead to situations like this. I'm going to put in your grade as a C, and if you manage to upload the video by tomorrow at noon, and its strong, I will change this quarter's grade to a B- at the end of the semester. Now, I need to end this meeting."

She said, "But it won't upload! I told you! Can't you just watch it on my camera?"

He said, "You need to upload it - please try the strategies we came up with. Thank you for coming by."

With a more emphatic sucking of her teeth she walked away, head bobbling. He spent the half hour necessary to get the last grades in. He took two minutes to watch a video that one of the most creative students had made. Smiling, he jogged down the stairs, walked out the door, and headed towards the park - the pavement splashed with bronze and crimson and lemon yellow leaves. It looked like he'd have a half hour of running in the cool air before he had to be back for the department meeting.

8 comments:

  1. lol its hard for me to see where the coolness in Bob lies

    ReplyDelete
  2. for one thing his name is the same, backwards and forwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol that sounds like a situation ive been in

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what made your character cool was his epic name, Bob


    But in all seriousness, I liked the use of dialogue in your story. It sounded pretty realistic for the most part.

    However, I'm a bit confused as to how exactly Bob was the cool character in this passage, and not the student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like when i went up to you with my problem.
    i thought it was pretty cool that even though it seemed that he was being a mean teacher, his point was true that she waited until the last night. then he understood that she tried and was unsuccessful in uploading so he gave her some credit. but the whole time he keep his cool even though the girl lost hers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the use of your language in the last paragraph. I also definitely enjoyed Bob's obvious lack of patience and disdain of his less favorable students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dood i guess you're pretty cool

    ReplyDelete